chemistry for kindergarten and primary school children
The program activity can be performed either indoor (kindergarten, primary school classroom, in a separate area of a community centre or research institute) or outdoor (summer camps).
Activities take around 35 minutes for kindergarten children and 45 minutes for primary school pupils.
Number of participants
15-20 kindergarten kids or 25-30 primary school/summer camps/community centres/science festival children take part ideally in a program.
The presentation is led by two professional chemists or previously trained youth leaders. The kindergarten and school teachers are motivating the children for participation.
Equipment and materials
– intro and closing: lab coats with special decoration, safety glasses, masks, spatula, plastic test tube and disposable gloves, diplomas for the children
– first experiment (EXP 1): four disposable transparent plastic cups, four plastic spoons, 0.5 kg of sugar, 1 L of water in plastic bottle, four different food colours, two small plastic test tubes, two small plastic syringes
– second experiment (EXP 2): ice in two disposable soup plates, a 0.25 kg of salt (NaCl), four different food colours, one tray
– third experiment (EXP 3): ONE magic stick (plastic straw), three disposable plastic flat plates, 1 L of 2.8% milk, four different food colours, dishwashing liquid
– fourth experiment (EXP 4): transparent plastic bottle (0.5 L), water, one food colour, 1 L of oil, one calcium sparking tablet
– fifth experiment (EXP 5): one plastic cup and spoon, one transparent plastic bottle, funnel, one big plastic bowl, yeast, red and blue food colours, dishwashing liquid, hydrogen peroxide, hot water
– sixth experiment (EXP 6): plastic bottle, coloured party balloons, vinegar, baking soda
For kindergarten kids a background story is prepared (Hugerat et al. 2005). The use of it is optional for the educational institutes: The two main characters, Spatula Sára (Sarah Spatula in English) and Kémcső Jenő (Eugene Test Tube) are working hard in the laboratory to solve a difficult issue. At one point, although they are searching the literature or surfing on the Internet, but they cannot find the right answer. Finally they decide to contact the nearby kindergarten and ask the children to help, hoping that they will have some ideas which are not trivial for the professionals.
Preparation in the kindergarten
On the previous day the kindergarten teachers bring a closed envelope into the classroom and read a letter to the kids (the English translation of the letter is presented).
We are working on a secret mission and we need your help. We will meet you tomorrow in our special laboratory. The password is: CHEMISTRY.
Sarah Spatula and Eugene Test Tube
Post scriptum: Keep secret the password!”
In primary school, summer camp or science festival the background story is neglected.
Task of kindergarten and primary school teachers
They have to prepare and motivate the group during the activity.